ZNTK's reforms

The innovative products of PESA Bydgoszcz

The former Rolling Stock Repair Workshops (Polish acronym: ZNTK) in a number of cities were converted into new companies producing rolling stock. Rail Vehicles PESA in Bydgoszcz was set up in 2001 after the local ZNTK established in 1851 was privatised. PESA commenced the production of the so-called railbuses, that is, one- and two-car diesel vehicles of the SA series. Its product offer also includes, among other vehicles, electric six- and four-car ELF sets. In addition, PESA deals with the refurbishment of passenger carriages and freight wagons and produces 120Na “Swing” tramways. The company also carries out general overhauls, revision repairs, periodic inspection and refurbishment of locomotives.

 

The “Papal Train” EN61 produced by NEWAG in Nowy Sącz

NEWAG in Nowy Sącz was established in 2005, also following the privatisation of the local ZNTK which from 1876 operated as locomotive and wagon repair workshops. Having given up the repairs of steam locomotives in the mid-1960s, the company specialised in repairs of diesel locomotives, passenger carriages, heater cars, ploughs and railway cranes. Using EN57 chassis and bodies in 2005 the works built a series of 8 “Halny” electric traction sets for the Fast Urban Railway in Warsaw. Another example was the “papal train” built in acknowledgement of the pontificate of Pope John Paul II for the needs of the Kraków – Wadowice “papal” line. In the following years NEWAG built Co-Co locomotives and electric and diesel traction sets.

 

The assembly of an EP09 electric locomotive at the NEWAG Gliwice S.A.

The Electric Locomotive Repair Works in Gliwice (today NEWAG Gliwice S.A.) – having built the prototypes of “Dragon” (Co-Co) and “Griffin” (Bo-Bo) locomotives – joined the group of railway manufacturers in 2009. From 2004 the works modernised ET22 locomotives for PKP, thus creating the ET22-2000 series.

 

The Wagon Factory Gniewczyna

Wagon Factory Gniewczyna – FWG (formerly ZNTK established in 1982) commenced the modernisation and refurbishment of freight wagons in 1993, and since 1996 it has manufactured such wagons. FWG is also a producer of coal wagons, self-discharging “talbot” wagons, flat wagons and container cars, pocket wagons for the transportation of semi-trailers, containers and vessels. Currently, 50% of the company's shares are held by Tatravagonka of Slovakia.

 

Wersja do druku Wersja do druku | Mapa witryny
© Całość praw autorskich - Antoni Bochen, Filip Wiśniewski