The construction of the Warszawa Centralna railway station in 1972-1975
The first competition for a design of a new railway station in Warsaw was announced in 1946, but the winner's work was not put into effect. The Warsaw Central railway station was built in 1972 – 1975 according to the design of engineers Arseniusz Romanowicz and Piotr Szymaniak. It was one of the flagship investments in Poland in the 1970s.
Old, cramped and impractical railway station buildings were replaced with new ones, in, among other cities, Kielce, Zielona Góra, Katowice, Olsztyn, Częstochowa, Koluszki and Łódź Kaliska. Stations providing rail service to sea ports were developed: Świnoujście Towarowe, Szczecin Port Centralny, Gdynia Port Centralny and Gdańsk Port Północny.
The concept of the freight transport system provided for putting into operation large shunting stations such as: Poznań Franowo, Tarnowskie Góry, Skarżysko-Kamienna, Warszawa Praga, Łódź Olechów, Kraków Prokocim Towarowy, Wrocław Brochów, Szczecin Port Centralny, Inowrocław, Zajączkowo Tczewskie, Lublin Tatary, Piła Główna, Toruń Główny, Białystok, Łazy, Rybnik Towarowy, Gliwice Towarowa, Żurawica Rozrządowa, and Żagań, out of which only the first three have maintained the status of shunting stations.
PKP had the longest lines in 1979 – 1985: 15,131 miles (24,350 km). Railways dominated after the war because motor transport was not competitive. Given a moderately dense railway network and a developed system of sidings to industrial plants and warehouses, bulk cargo was transported by railway. As road infrastructure developed, the share of railways in cargo transport slowly started decreasing from the early 1960s. This trend has continued until now.
Today many people still have sentimental memories of travelling in famous WARS restaurant and sleeping cars